Organization : Ministry of Education
Post Name : School Counsellor (For Applicants without Counselling Training)
Job Category : Permanent, Full-time
Salary : Entry level
Job Location : Singapore
What the role is
As a School Counsellor, your primary role is to work with staff, students, parents, external professionals and community agencies to provide quality school counselling support for students’ mental health, and social-emotional development.
What you will be working on
Your key roles and responsibilities include:
1. System Support:
• Developing suitable school counselling programme including a system for needs analysis, early identification and referral of students with mental health issues and social, emotional and behavioural problems
• Advising school management on school counselling matters
• Providing consultation as well as planning and conducting training for staff and parents on pertinent mental health issues and skills for first-line intervention and support
• Networking with relevant external professionals and community agencies
• Evaluating and reporting to school management on the state of student mental health in the school, and effectiveness of the school counselling programme
2. Preventive Programme:
• Developing and conducting small and large group psycho-educational sessions for students on mental health issues and healthy coping strategies
• Developing and/or making available mental health resources for students, parents and staff
3. Responsive Services:
• Providing individual and group counselling to students
• Conference with staff, parents and external professionals / agencies on students being counselled, and conduct home visits where necessary
• Looking into the referral of students and their families to community resources or external professionals where needed
• Providing direct crisis intervention and follow-up to students affected by critical incidents • Maintaining case consultation records and proper documentation
• Providing regular updates to school management on progress of students being seen for counselling
Successful candidates will undergo a foundational training programme provided by the Ministry before deployment to school as a School Counsellor. The training aims to equip participants with the necessary skills to support our students with their social and emotional needs. The cost of the training will be borne by the Ministry and participants will receive a full monthly salary while undergoing the training.
What we are looking for
• Passion and disposition to work with at-risk students.
• Empathy for students with social, emotional and mental health difficulties.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Aware of and sensitive to multicultural issues.
• Resourceful and resilient.
• Preferably with at least 1 year of working experience. Experience working or volunteering with children and youths would be an advantage.
• Applicants should have the fitness and resilience required to engage students safely and carry out their duties effectively.
Given the high number of applications, applicants can expect to receive an update from us within 6 weeks of the close of the application window.
If you are facing issues submitting your application through the Careers@Gov portal, please contact email@example.com for assistance.